Garage Guru Automotive Technician Scholarship Program Rules
$2,500 SCHOLARSHIP (“Scholarship”)
2020 - 2021 SCHOOL YEAR
12 scholarships available! Applications accepted from 12:01 a.m. Eastern Time on February 24, 2020 to 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on April 30, 2020.
DRiV Automotive Inc. (“Sponsor”) is pleased to announce its Garage Guru Automotive Technician Scholarship Program (“Program”) awarding twelve (12) students up to $2,500 to help support educational expenses for the 2020-2021 school year. Funding for the Scholarships is provided through Sponsor’s Garage Gurus, who provide industry-leading training to automotive professionals Onsite, Online and On-Demand throughout the United States.
1. Overview/Eligibility: Applicants who meet the following criteria are eligible to win the Garage Gurus Automotive Technician Scholarship. The Applicant must:
a. at the time of application be (i) enrolled full-time at a US high school or (ii) accepted or currently enrolled, either full-time or part-time, at an accredited college, university or trade school within the US. Trade school should be the equivalent of a two-year associate program.
b. be pursuing an automotive technician degree or certification (or equivalent degree/certification).
c. carry a minimum 3.0 grade point average.
d. be a legal resident of the United States, in the United States on a student Visa or a resident alien.
e. be the age of majority in his/her jurisdiction of residence at the time of Applications or have a parent/guardian provide written approval
f. submit a completed application which can be found by clicking on the link on the Site (defined below) or obtained from a DRiV sales representative.
g. submit an official transcript of all academic work.
h. submit two (2) letters of recommendation from non-family members.
i. submit a typed essay (no more than four (4) pages in length double spaced) or a video (no more than two (2) minutes long) describing “Why I Want to be a Top Technician.”
2. Application/Award Period: For the 2020/2021 school year, Applications will be accepted from 12:01 a.m. Eastern Time on February 24, 2020 to 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on April 30, 2020 (“Application Period”). Scholarship winners will be notified on or about June 1, 2020. Sponsor’s computer timeclock is the official time keeping device for all Program purposes.
3. Sponsor: DRiV Automotive Inc., 27300 W. 11 Mile Road, Southfield MI 48034.
How to Apply: During the Application Period, Applicants may apply for the scholarship at www.garagegurus.tech/scholarship. (“Site”) as follows: (i) Complete and submit the official Application provided via the Site, providing all information and materials requested.(ii) Submit a typed essay or an original video file created by you which describes “Why I Want to be a Top Technician.” The essay must be typed, double spaced and no more than four (4) pages in length. The video must be in one of the following formats: AVI, MOV, WMV, MP4, MPEG, FLV, 3GP, and 3G2; must be under 100 MB; and must be no longer than two (2) minutes total in length. (iii) Submit official transcripts of relevant academic work. Copies of transcripts are not acceptable.
(iv) Submit two (2) typed letters of recommendation from non-family members.
(collectively, the “Application(s)”).
All Applications must be completed and uploaded via the Site no later than end of the day April 30, 2020. If Applicants prefer to mail their Applications, please send to: Garage Guru Scholarship, 3168 Riverport Tech Center Drive, St. Louis MO 63043. Mailed Applications must be postmarked no later than April 30, 2020, and received by Sponsor no later than May 7, 2020. Call (888) 771-6005 for more information. One Application per person. Any attempts to submit multiple Applications will result in disqualification of all Applications. The person uploading/submitting the Applications must be the creator of the Applications and will be deemed the “Applicant.” Where applicable, the definition of “Applicant shall include the parent or legal guardian of the individual. Applications which do not include an official Application form, which are incomplete or illegible, and/or are received outside the Application Period will be void. All Applications submitted become the property of the Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned.
4. Content Requirements: Applications must not infringe any third party’s rights; must be suitable for publication (i.e., may not be obscene or indecent); must not contain obscene or pornographic material; may not contain defamatory statements; may not invade privacy, publicity, or other rights of any person, firm or entity; may not in any other way violate applicable laws and regulations; may not contain any reference to any third party trademarks, names, or third party logos; and may not contain any copyrighted works owned by third parties. Applications that are deemed by the Sponsor, in its sole discretion, to be in violation of these Official Rules or to be otherwise infringing, harmful, inappropriate, defamatory, or generally not in keeping with the image of Sponsor, may be rejected and will not be eligible to participate in the Program and may be removed from the Site. Each Application must be suitable for display and publication in all forms of media, including but not limited to the Internet, the World Wide Web, print, radio, and network, cable or satellite television broadcast. Applicant acknowledges and agrees that all decisions of Sponsor are final and binding. Submission of an Application grants Sponsor and its agents the unconditional, irrevocable, worldwide right and license to publish, use, adapt, edit, and/or modify the Application in any way, including each component of the Application, together or separately, in whole or in part, in any and all media, now known or hereafter developed, without limitation, and without compensation or consideration to the Applicant, whether or not such Application is selected as a winning Application. Applicant agrees to waive any moral rights in and to the Application.
BY SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION, EACH APPLICANT REPRESENTS AND WARRANTS THAT HE/SHE HAS ALL RIGHT, TITLE, AND INTEREST NECESSARY TO GRANT THE SPONSOR THE WORLDWIDE, IRREVOCABLE, AND UNRESTRICTED RIGHT AND LICENSE TO ADAPT, PUBLISH, USE, EDIT, AND/OR MODIFY SUCH APPLICATION IN ANY WAY AND POST THE ORIGINAL APPLICATIONS ON THE INTERNET OR USE THE APPLICATION IN ANY OTHER WAY AND AGREES TO INDEMNIFY AND HOLD SPONSOR AND THE RELEASED PARTIES HARMLESS FROM ANY CLAIMS TO THE CONTRARY. BY SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION, APPLICANT ACKNOWLEDGES THAT HIS/HER APPLICATION MAY BE POSTED ON SPONSOR’S SITE, IN SPONSOR’S SOLE DISCRETION. Sponsor reserves the right to and may or may not monitor/screen Applications prior to posting them on the Site. By entering, you acknowledge that Sponsor has no obligation to use or post any Application you submit.
- Judging to Determine the Scholarship Winners: Assuming all eligibility criteria is met, the twelve (12) scholarship winners will be determined by a Sponsor-selected panel of ASE Master Certified Garage Gurus as well as Garage Gurus Management (“Judges”) based on the following weighted criteria: Inspirational Quality (50%); Relevance to Theme “Why I Want to be a Top Technician” (50%). In the event of a tie, the Application with the highest percentage number in the “Relative to Theme” category will be considered the winner. If there is still a tie, independent Judges will be chosen to judge the tied Applications and determine a winner. All eligible Applications will be judged shortly after the end of the Application Period. By applying, Applicants agree to these Official Rules and to the decisions of the Judges and Sponsor, which shall be final and binding in all respects.
- Winner Notification: Potential Scholarship winners will be notified at the email address and/or phone number provided in the Application on or about June 1, 2020. If a potential Scholarship winner is not reachable at the telephone number and/or e-mail address provided within three (3) days or if notification is returned as undeliverable, then the Scholarship will be forfeited and an alternate Applicant may be chosen based on the eligible Application with the next highest Judge’s score. Names of the Scholarship winners will be posted on the Site by June 30, 2020. Scholarship Program winners (and parent/legal guardian if a minor) may be required to sign and return, within 10 days of the date notice or attempted notice is sent, an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability/Publicity Release in order to receive the Scholarship. If required Affidavits and Releases are not signed and returned within the required time period, the Scholarship may be forfeited and awarded, at Sponsor’s discretion, to an alternate Applicant who received the next highest Judge’s score.
Limit one Scholarship per person. Scholarships are non-transferable and cannot be substituted for any other benefit, except in Sponsor’s sole discretion. All winners are solely responsible for any federal, state, local, or other taxes on Scholarships awarded to them, and the reporting consequences thereof, and for any other fees or costs associated with receiving and using the Scholarship.
- General Conditions: INTERNET CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS PROGRAM IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS, AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW INCLUDING CRIMINAL PROSECUTION. If the Program is not capable of running as planned for any reason, including without limitation, due to infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Program, Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who is responsible or who tampers with the Application process, and to cancel, modify, or terminate the Program. If, in Sponsor’s sole discretion, any portion of the Program is not capable of running as planned for any reason, Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to suspend, modify or terminate the Program without notice and, if terminated, at its sole discretion, select winner(s) for the Program from among all non-suspect, eligible Applications received prior to cancellation of the Program in a manner deemed fair and appropriate by Sponsor. In the event that an Application is confirmed to have been erroneously deleted, lost or destroyed, Applicant’s sole remedy shall be another Application into the Program.
7. Binding Arbitration: These Official Rules, the Program and any cause of action arising from the Program shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Michigan (exclusive of its choice of law provisions). Any controversy or claim arising out of or relating to these Official Rules or the Program shall be settled by final and binding arbitration in accordance with the rules of and shall be administered by the American Arbitration Association before a single arbitrator, with the proceedings to be held in Southfield, Michigan, and, in the case of any appeal permitted under those rules, exclusive jurisdiction and venue will rest with the federal and state courts in the State of Michigan, County of Oakland. Each party shall bear his/her own legal expenses in such arbitration. THE ARBITRATION OF DISPUTES PURSUANT TO THIS PARAGRAPH SHALL BE IN THE APPLICANT’S INDIVIDUAL CAPACITY, AND NOT AS A PLAINTIFF OR CLASS MEMBER IN ANY PURPORTED CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE PROCEEDING. THE ARBITRATOR MAY NOT CONSOLIDATE OR JOIN THE CLAIMS OF OTHER PERSONS OR PARTIES WHO MAY BE SIMILARLY SITUATED. DO NOT ENTER THIS PROGRAM IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO HAVE ANY CLAIM OR CONTROVERSY ARBITRATED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THESE OFFICIAL RULES.
BY PARTICIPATING IN THIS PROGRAM, EACH APPLICANT AGREES THAT TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW: (1) ANY AND ALL DISPUTES, CLAIMS AND CAUSES OF ACTION ARISING OUT OF OR CONNECTED WITH THE PROGRAM, OR ANY PRIZE AWARDED, WILL BE RESOLVED INDIVIDUALLY THROUGH BINDING ARBITRATION AS SET FORTH ABOVE, WITHOUT RESORT TO ANY FORM OF CLASS ACTION; (2) ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, JUDGMENTS AND AWARDS WILL BE LIMITED TO ACTUAL THIRD-PARTY, OUT-OF-POCKET COSTS INCURRED (IF ANY), BUT IN NO EVENT WILL ATTORNEYS' FEES BE AWARDED OR RECOVERABLE; (3) UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL ANY APPLICANT BE PERMITTED TO OBTAIN ANY AWARD FOR, AND APPLICANT HEREBY KNOWINGLY AND EXPRESSLY WAIVES ALL RIGHTS TO SEEK, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR SPECIAL DAMAGES, LOST PROFITS AND/OR ANY OTHER DAMAGES, OTHER THAN ACTUAL OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES, AND/OR ANY RIGHTS TO HAVE DAMAGES MULTIPLIED OR OTHERWISE INCREASED; AND (4) APPLICANT'S REMEDIES ARE LIMITED TO A CLAIM FOR MONEY DAMAGES (IF ANY) AND APPLICANT IRREVOCABLY WAIVES ANY RIGHT TO SEEK INJUNCTIVE OR EQUITABLE RELIEF. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY for incidental or consequential damages, SO THE ABOVE MAY NOT APPLY TO EVERY APPLICANT.
- Governing Law & Jurisdiction: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, your rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of the Sponsor in connection with the Program, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Michigan, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules thereof. By entering, you consent to the jurisdiction and venue of the federal, state and local courts located in Southfield, Michigan for the resolution of any matters or proceedings which are not subject to arbitration as set forth in Section 10 of these Official Rules and agree that any and all such disputes shall be resolved exclusively in those courts. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that or any other provision. If any provision of these Official Rules is held to be invalid or unenforceable, such provision shall be struck, and the remaining provisions shall be enforced.
- Publicity: Except in Tennessee, and where prohibited by law, by accepting a prize, winners grant permission for Sponsor and those acting under its authority to use their name, and address (city and state), photograph, voice, image and/or likeness, for advertising and/or publicity purposes, in any and all media (including posting on the Site) now known or hereinafter invented without territorial or time limitations and without further notice and without additional compensation.
- Limitation of Liability & Release: By participating in the Program, each Applicant represents and warrants that: (i) all rights to the Application belong to and are original to him/her, or he/she has written consent to use, and the Application do not and shall not infringe on any copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity, or any other third party right nor violate any applicable law or regulation, (ii) he/she has the right to grant any and all necessary rights and licenses provided herein, including without limitation, all necessary copyright and other related rights to the Application, free and clear of all claims and encumbrances without violating the rights of any person or entity, including any right to privacy or publicity, (iii) he/she hereby holds the Sponsor and the Released Parties defined below harmless from and against any third party claim arising from use of the Application and waives any right to inspect or approve uses of the Application or to be compensated for any such uses.
By participating in the Program, each Applicant agrees that Sponsor, its parent, subsidiaries, affiliated companies, agents, retailers, advertising and promotion agencies, Judges, and all of their respective shareholders, officers, directors, employees and assigns, members, representatives and agents (collectively the “Released Parties”), will have no liability whatsoever for, and will be held harmless by Applicant for any liability for any bodily injury, loss or damages of any kind to persons, including death, and property, due in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from participation in the Scholarship Program. No liability or responsibility is assumed by Sponsor or Released Parties resulting from Applicant's participation in, attempt to participate in, or download of any information in connection with participating in the Program. No responsibility or liability is assumed by the Sponsor or Released Parties for technical problems or technical malfunction, including, without limitation, those arising in connection with any of the following occurrences that may affect the operation of the Program: hardware or software errors; faulty computer, telephone, cable, satellite, network, electronic, wireless, or Internet connectivity, or other online communication problems; errors or limitations of any Internet service providers, servers, hosts, or providers; garbled, jumbled, or faulty data transmissions; failure of any email transmissions to be sent to or received; lost, late, delayed, or intercepted email transmissions; inaccessibility of the Site in whole or in part for any reason; traffic congestion on the Internet or the Site; unauthorized human or non-human intervention in the operation of the Program, including without limitation, unauthorized tampering, hacking, theft, virus, bug, worm; or destruction of any aspect of the Program. Released Parties are not responsible for any typographical errors in the announcement of the prizes or these Official Rules, or any inaccurate or incorrect data contained on promotional materials or on the Site. Use of the Site is at user’s own risk. Released Parties are not responsible for any personal injury or property damage or any other losses of any kind that may be sustained to user's or any other person's computer equipment resulting from participation in the Program, use of the Site or the download of any information from the Site, or any other loss related to user’s participation in the Program or receipt of any prize. As a condition of entering, Applicants agree to release Released Parties from any and all liability, loss, or damage incurred with respect to Applicant’s participation in the Program and the awarding, receipt, possession, and/or use or misuse of a Scholarship including any travel related thereto. Each Applicant hereby represents and warrants that he/she has read these Official Rules and is fully familiar with its contents.